In this videconference lesson students will engage in conversation with a PORTS interpreter about the life cycle and migration of the Monarch butterfly.
1. Videoconference with a State Park Interpreter from Natural Bridges State Beach.
2. Articulate the life cycle of the monarch butterflies.
3. Explain the migration of the Monarch butterfly.
One 45 to 60 minute class period
Videoconference setup (either a camera-enabled computer, tablet, or standards-based videoconference machine) tested from the school.
Projector, TV, or SmartBoard
1. At least two weeks prior to the videoconference, the State Park Interpreter and the teacher should begin communicating about content of videoconference.
2. Prior to the videoconference, prepare your students using the provided Unit of Study lessons, or classroom curriculum. Students might be encouraged to bring questions to the videoconference.
3. At least a week prior to the videoconference, conduct a test connection (see technology page on website for more details www.ports.parks.ca.gov). Be sure to coordinate with your district technology support.
Day of the Videoconference:
Discuss with the distance learning presenter the roles and responsibilities of both you, the teacher, and the students themselves. This will best assure a valuable educational experience.